Articles worth reading

Change and review

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Remember when “change is coming” was president Barack Obama’s battle cry during his presidency? Here, in our corner of the world, the country, like so many other places, it took COVID-19 to lead us to change. The more than 100 days...

Pasig City Mayor Vico Sotto

Pasig housing project to prioritize residents in ‘danger zones’ 

account_balancePasig access_time4 days ago

Pasig City will prioritize informal settler residents living within “danger zones” for the city’s socialized housing project, Mayor Vico Sotto said. The mayor recently unveiled the proposed design for Pasig’s Socialized ...

Stranded NAIA passengers to receive food aid

account_balanceMetro Manila access_time4 days ago

Transportation Secretary Arthur Tugade assured stranded passengers at the Ninoy Aquino International Airport (NAIA) that they will be taken care of and will be given regular food supply during their stay there. He personally visited NAIA on Wednesda...

Manila News

Photo courtesy of: MPIO

Manila opens new quarantine center

account_balanceManila chat_bubble_outline0 Comments

Manila opened a new quarantine facility for coronavirus disease-2019 patients at T. Paez High School on May 26.

The new isolation facility has a 41-bed capacity and is equipped with electric fans and air conditioner units.

Photo courtesy of: Manila Public Information Office

Other completed quarantine facilities include the Delpan Quarantine Facility and the ones at Araullo High School and Tondo High School. These facilities can cater to up to 200 patients.

Manila Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso said more facilities will be built at Tondo Sports Complex, Patricia Covered Court, Del Pilar High School, P. Gomez High School, Arellano High School, Dapitan Sports Complex, and Bacood Elementary School.

Domagoso earlier said that they are setting up more isolation facilities in preparation for the expected surge in COVID-19 cases with the implementation of the modified enhanced community quarantine (MECQ) or the general community quarantine (GCQ).

The city government is aiming to provide up to 500 beds in these quarantine facilities for the city’s COVID-19 patients, he added.

The Manila mayor said they are ready for when the city is placed under GCQ as they have enough supplies and resources, not only to build more isolation facilities, but also to continue conducting their “aggressive” mass testing and contact tracing efforts.

“So far, with the numbers, as we progress, so far yung kapasidad kaya pa (in terms of capacity, we can get by). But… blunders may arise suddenly, and we are aware of that,” he told reporters.

Data from the city government showed that over 50,000 polymerase chain reaction (PCR) and rapid tests have been conducted for the city’s COVID-19 patients as of Saturday, May 23.

A total of 7,481 swab tests and 43,067 have been performed by the city government’s health workers for probable and suspect COVID-19 patients in Manila.

The city government is also building its own COVID-19 testing laboratory at the Sta. Ana Hospital, which is the sole district hospital in Manila assigned to handle COVID-19 cases and where the Manila Infectious Disease Control Center (MIDCC) is located.

Domagoso reiterated that he is in favor of implementing GCQ in Manila to prevent thousands of residents from losing their jobs.

“It’s going to be challenging, but we have to. We need to go on with our lives, and I think the people of Manila [are] smart enough to take care of themselves because nakita na rin ng mga taga-Maynila kung gaano kadelikado ang COVID-19 (those from Manila have seen how dangerous COVID-19 is),” he said.

“Kailangan dahan-dahan (We should do it slowly) so we can adapt to the new normal and social norms,” he added.

However, the Manila mayor said they will comply with the guidelines set by the Inter-Agency Task Force for Emerging Infectious Diseases (IATF-EID) because they want to” synchronize” their action plan with that of the national government.

As of Saturday, May 23, there are 1,203 confirmed COVID-19 cases in the country’s capital with 321 recoveries and 95 deaths.

date_rangeDate Published
1 month ago
shareShare article
folder_openArticle tags
content_copyCategorized under

Share your thoughts with us

Related Articles

Mandaluyong launches online tax payment 

account_balanceMandaluyong chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Mandaluyong City has started implementing online payment for business and real property taxes on July 1. According to Jimmy Isidro, Mandaluyong Public Information Office chief, business and property owners in the city do not anymore need to go to Ci...

Taguig lifts lockdown on 2 Bicutan areas 

account_balanceTaguig chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Taguig City has lifted the lockdown in two areas in Barangay Lower Bicutan but will put selected communities under Modified Localized Quarantine (MLQ) for 14 days. In an advisory, the Taguig Safe City Task Force said Purok 5 and 6 will no longer be ...

Manila public schools post 100% enrollment rate

account_balanceManila chrome_reader_mode2 days ago

Public school officials in Manila said exceeded their target by hitting 100.46 percent enrollment for the upcoming school year. Based on the data provided by the Manila Division of City Schools, there were 270,219 public school enrollees as of July ...

Navotas, Grab sign deal to employ residents

account_balanceNavotas chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Navotas City and Grab Philippines have signed an agreement to provide livelihood opportunities to Navoteños through GrabBayanihan. Mayor Toby Tiangco and Brian Cu, Grab Philippines President, led the virtual signing of the memorandum of agree...

Valenzuela targets to test 2% of population 

account_balanceValenzuela chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

Valenzuela City aims to test 2 percent of its total population for coronavirus disease after almost all of its possible virus carriers, frontliners, returning overseas Filipino workers (OFWs), and vulnerable residents have been subjected to its ...

Photo courtesy of: PIO Mandaluyong

Mandaluyong jeepney driver tests positive for virus

account_balanceMandaluyong chrome_reader_mode6 days ago

A jeepney driver in Mandaluyong City tested positive for coronavirus disease. The Mandaluyong City government said the City Health Department has completed the conduct of rapid tests on 1,147 jeepney drivers, one of whom was found positive for COVID...

Let's Stay Connected Like us on our Facebook page.
×
Click on the article to continue reading
Caloocan shortens curfew hours Six areas in NCR, Cebu register virus spikes Number coding remains suspended Senators propose ‘junk food’ tax COVID-19 cases rise on easing of restrictions Critics free to question anti-terror law Send Press Release MNC Facebook Page MNC Twitter Page MNC Instagram Page LGU Spotlight Barangay Front Business Sports Entertainment Metro Gen Metro Feature