Metro Manila News
Online scrabble tournament set in October
One of the country’s top young Scrabble players in cooperation with Mattel and the world’s top player are combining forces to stage a youth online Scrabble tournament this October.
Learjet de la Cruz of the Cebu Scrabble Club, who saw action in the World Youth Scrabble Championship last year, is jointly hosting the national competition sometime in October.
In his social media post, De la Cruz said he will be partnering with Malaysian Ganesh Asirvatham, the world’s top-rated player, and Mattel, Inc., for the youth games on a date yet unspecified next month.
Mattel is one of the owners of the popular board game. Produced in England, it is distributed worldwide except in the United States and Canada, where Hasbro is the owner.
Mattel is also the owner of the Barbie line of dolls, while Hasbro caters to boys with Transformers and GI Joe as its premier line of toys.
“Since the pandemic has paralyzed us to hold in-person tournaments, we are bringing our most beloved game online, specifically targeting the youth sector,” de la Cruz said.
“The goal is for the sport to be introduced to the young ones not only for nationwide propagation but essentially for its survival in our country as well,” he added.
The Inter-school National Scrabble Tournament-Philippines will target 50-100 complete beginners to the game, ages 10-12.
De la Cruz said they are targeting 13-20 schools nationwide with two to four players each. The games will be staged using the Internet Scrabble Club (ISC) and will be done in two days, one for the qualifying round and another for the final round.
He said that Ganesh, with his assistance, will be holding a two-hour online lesson for the kids, teachers and parents via Zoom, prior to the tournament date and resources will be given along the way.
In Baguio, the first to reach out to De la Cruz is the Saint Louis University Laboratory Elementary School (SLU-LES) which has been competing in the Milo Scrabble Games.
A student division was supposedly incorporated in the Panagbenga Scrabble Tournament last March, but the tournament was canceled due to the coronavirus disease 2019 (Covid-19) pandemic.
Pinangunahan nina Mayor Francisco “Isko Moreno” Domagoso at Vice Mayor Maria Sheilah "Honey" Lacuna-Pangan ang pagpapasinaya sa pinagandang San Andres Sports Complex Quarantine Facility sa Lungsod ng Maynila ngayong araw, ika-21...
Malacañang Palace asked the Philippine Red Cross (PRC) to resume COVID-19 testing services that will be charged to the Philippine Health Insurance Corp., according to a report by GMA News. In a statement, Palace spokesperson Harry Roque said ...
The Department of Public Works and Highways (DPWH) is given a chance to curb alleged corruption in the agency that President Rodrigo Duterte recently flagged, according to a report by ABS-CBN. Public Works Secretary Mark Villar earlier in the day cr...
Manila will adopt shorter curfew hours for the remaining months of 2020, from 12 am to 4 am until November 30, and 12 am to 3 am starting December 1, according to Mayor Francisco ‘Isko Moreno’ Domagoso. Domagoso signe...
Security guards particularly those from Manila need not travel to Camp Crame in Quezon City to apply for renewal of licenses and firearms registration as the Philippine National Police on Wednesday opened its Civil Security Group (PNP-CSG) satellite ...
Individuals making prank calls to any emergency hotlines in Muntinlupa City will now be penalized through a local ordinance, while violating minors may face withdrawal of their scholarship grant from the local government. Mayor Jaime Fresnedi signed...